Mapping Virtual PracticeVirtual Networks

Formal Writing.

In the week’s three Virtual Networks classes we focused on formal writing. We discussed, analysed, identified and tried to write several pieces presenting a traditional writing style. 

CV was one of them as it is an essential document in searching for opportunities in the work market. It provides an overview of educational and professional accomplishments, as well s skills and experiences. A typical CV should include sections such as personal information, education, professional experience, skills, publications and presentations, honours and awards, grants, and references. It should highlight our strengths and if we lack relevant experience (in case of a career change – I am in the process of that exact change), we need to point out our transferable skills and other values, such as soft skills and experience from another field. 

Artist statement was another example of formal writing we discussed. It is a document that describes our artistic practice and philosophy. It provides insights into the creative process and the themes and concepts that inspire my work. That document should include an introduction, inspiration, process, style and impact. All of these might not be very strong statements at the beginning of the artistic journey, might evolve and develop with time and experience. 

Grant application. This type of formal writing is a response to a specific project. The application proposal outlines the applicant’s idea for a project or program and requests funding from the organisations offering grants. A typical grant application form includes sections such as introduction (the bio mentioned above could fit within this section), need – what is the need, or problem and why it is important, methodology, impact, budget, and evaluation. Grant application requires planning and apart from writing the actual proposal, must include documenting the process as well as budget monitoring and providing all the necessary information to the grant givers. 

All three examples of formal writing should be tailored to specific experiences, work positions or grants we are applying for and goals we want to achieve. They need to be followed by research, and a preparation process where we gather all necessary information before submitting our documents. 

Since I applied for an internship last summer, my CV was not very outdated. I had all the needed sections included but I had to update it to add my latest experience from the last 6 months which includes my internship at disguise. I also had to reduce the amount of information as my CV was spread over 2 pages and we were advised that it cannot exceed 1 page as having it too long will decrease our chances during the recruitment process. I struggled with that but eventually managed to have a one-page CV presenting the essential information about my professional development such as a short intro, skills, experience and education.  

I have not applied for a grant yet but after the workshop we had, I feel like I have basic skills and knowledge of that process and will be able to fill in the form should I find a relevant opportunity. 

In terms of having a bio written, I have had several attempts already and this is a piece of writing that keeps developing along with my experience and skills. I am pretty happy with a few sentences I included in my LinkedIn profile and this summarizes, for now, my interest and professional aspirations.